Sunday, February 17, 2013

I was in San Francisco for a few days -- to see my parents, especially my father who just had surgery. I thought I might be able to see my younger sister, but her husband screwed the pooch, schedule-wise. I can only surmise from his text message that my sister is at the stage in her cancer where she is not really present. Which, of course, only makes it sadder that I wasn't able to see her.

Part of the trip West consisted of a surprise visit to LA for a friend’s birthday. That was definitely the highlight, and highlight is the perfect word: our couple of days were sunny, bright and filled with lots of laughter and conversation. Looking out at the sparkly and smoggy city from the Griffith Observatory, I started to feel a kind of saudade for the place…

Back in Brooklyn, it’s sunny and blustery and a different LA friend is in town, staying a few blocks away. I feel lucky to be able to have my NY in LA, and my LA in NY. Chocolate in my peanut butter!

No comments: