Thursday, November 29, 2012

Writing, graphic designing (fun!) and working on partnership ideas (fun but also time-consuming since this isn’t exactly in my wheelhouse) and trying to squeeze a social life in between. Today I met friends for lunch in Soho, and booked a hair color appointment at the tail end of our get-together.

Gone are the days when I could luxuriate and spread appointments across an entire week. Now I move things around like puzzle pieces, shoe-horning teeth cleanings into spots formerly occupied by meetings, barely eating at “working dinners,” wedging design consultations into slimmer and slimmer slots on the calendar. This is New York, people. This is how we do.

On the other hand, I am decidedly not New York in so many ways. I am impatient, yes, but the whole “work is my life” ethos is totally not my bag. I am much more in the French camp of “I work to live” and not vice versa. Anyway, if you love what you do, then it’s not work, right? I love writing and designing and all of the other things I do -- I just wish I had to do less in order to keep my head above water.

No comments: